Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Battlefield Sylvester!



Of everything I've seen here in Germany, Sylvester (New Year's Eve) has to be one of the most ridiculous/awesome/scary/thrilling. The day of Sylvester we hung out, played more Wii, lit of a few Boeller to test them and just chilled. That night we went to this club, Alex, and got dinner and all you could drink (your entrance ticket covered the cost) and played "Never have I ever" but the German version. It was a lot of fun. The music was good and the atmosphere was fun. Nicole and I danced in the conga line a couple times, the boys lit off more Boeller. It eventually became midnight and we all cheered and celebrated. I did miss watching the Ball drop though. That's been staple my entire life and it was sad not to have it. :(
We headed back to Jana's house and as we were walking down the street, I felt like I was walking through a battlefield. Fireworks were being thrown all around us and they were just going off at random moments and I legitimately thought I was going to get hurt at some points. There's really no regulations here and they make fireworks that sounds like bombs so it was nuts. The explosions would echo off the buildings and make it seem like the explosion was all around you. It's almost impossible to describe but it was so cool.
We get back to Jana's and the boys go out on the lawn and light off the rockets and "Effekte" (the pretty fireworks that don't make a lot of noise but spark pretty colors; you know, our normal ones.) They were out there for at least three hours and it was freezing! Nicole and I stayed on the balcony and watched from there. :) I just sat there watching the fireworks and hearing the city of Chemnitz explode and thought to myself, what a perfect place to be right now. This is such an amazing experience. I've heard so many good things about Germany and experienced so many good things here, but Sylvester was another level. It was solidified how much I'm happy to be here.
If anyone wants a really cool New Years experience, Germany is the place to come. So different from anything in the US, especially Utah.
Happy New Years everyone! Gesundes neues!
Love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment