Sunday, January 3, 2010

Nicole's Visit

So this week I had a friend from LC visit me, Nicole. She was in Greece for the semester and her semester was up and she had a week-long layover in Germany so she stayed with me for a week and we wandered around the city and had a great time. I unfortunately had class during the week so I couldn’t hang out with her all the time but it was fun anyway. On Tuesday we went to Tutzing, to the lake there. It was beautiful but cold and since it wasn’t tourist season not a whole lot was open but we found a little café right by the train station and had a typical Bavarian lunch there: Bratwurst and beer. The café had two little rat dogs that hung out by our table the entire time and just watching us eat. You could see their little eyes begging for us to drop some food or feed them but we didn’t. They looked quite sad as we left. That night we went to a Christmas party at Bar 089 and had a great time. Nicole got to experience how the Germans party and (don’t) dance. We were out until really late and I had to get up early for class the next day and really didn’t want to get out of bed the next day. But sadly I had to.
On Wednesday, I had class all day so Nicole went off to Salzburg all by herself! It was quite the adventure. And despite our worries, she came home safe.
On Thursday, I went to class and Nicole met me for lunch at Mama’s Döner Kebap. Best Döner in Munich in my opinion. We then met up with Jana and took the Christkindltram around Munich and did some Christmas shopping. Nicole went with me to Kunstgeschichte (art history) and wandered around while we had class. She enjoyed it a lot. We were in the Alte Pinothek, which is one of the biggest art galleries in Munich and had all sorts of cool originals. It has a painting where you can see the beginnings of perspective. The bottom half of the painting has perspective going one direction and the top half has perspective going another direction. Both are correct; they just don’t match up with each other.
On Friday, I had to get up early and go to class (Ceramics at 9:00 am – bleh!) but I met up with Nicole later and we said that we would meet up for Kunstgeschichte but it was cancelled so I did some Christmas shopping, went back to Stusta and met up with Nicole and from there we made dinner and watching movies with Jana.
On Saturday, Jana, Nicole and I went to Neuschwanstein. There was almost no snow the entire week but then it began to snow and we got to see Neuschwanstein in the snow. It was so unbelievably beautiful. It looked really majestic in the snow. Sadly the bridge, where you can get the best view and pictures, was closed cuz of the snow but it was a great trip anyway. Nicole finally got to see the “Disney Castle.” That night, we got a group of people together (Jana, Crystal, Penelope, Josh, Marina, Nicole and I) and went to Hofbräuhaus with our Dirndls and Lederhosen. Nicole borrowed one from Jana. It was a lot of fun. We had traditional Bavarian food and drank lots of beer and played Kings and just enjoyed ourselves. We then put Nicole on the train to the airport cuz her plane was leaving mad early in the AM and Josh whimped out and went home to go to sleep and the rest of us (Jana, Crystal, Marina, and I) went to Killian’s. It was great fun. We discovered Killian’s by accident the other night and it’s this funky little Irish bar run by real Irishmen and it’s just a fun place to chill. The bartenders are a lot of fun.
It was a crazy busy fun week and I’m really glad Nicole visited.
Now back to the daily grind. Two weeks until Chemnitz!

Love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment