Sunday, January 3, 2010

Thanksgiving/Schweinegrippe


So this week was Thanksgiving. Since it’s strictly an American holiday, we American students were in charge of making the dinner. I made the gravy and it was actually really successful. I didn’t make enough of it, but it turned out well anyway. They also have no word for “gravy” so trying to explain it to them was a lot of fun. Anyway, it was a good time. All the food was amazing, despite some of our doubts. We thought that since most of the time our mothers cook Thanksgiving Dinner for us, it wouldn’t be the best success ever. But it was really good. There were toasts; Kirbee (one of the girls on my program) recited a poem for us. All of our teachers were there; it was a good gathering. As usual, I ate WAY too much and couldn’t move for at least an hour. I kept saying that I was just going to get in bed and pass out. However, Jana convinced me that I did indeed want to go to the Schweinegrippe party and that I wasn’t entirely immobile.

Side note: *So in my spare time and I have a lot of it, I either watch movies or go to Stusta parties. Stusta parties are ridiculous. Packed with men, cheap drinks, no entrance fee, and just fun. It is a little awkward however when we start dancing though because the Germans don’t dance. They stand there with drinks in their hands and move their shoulders a little, maybe a foot tap. The girls rarely move and they always look perfectly put together and beautiful and we dance and get all sweaty and then ask ourselves why the German girls look so much better than us by the end of the night. Oh yeah, because we actually dance.*

Anyway, sidetracked. So “Schweinegrippe” means “Swine flu” in German. For some reason, the people that plan parties in Stusta decided to have a party in honor of the swine flu. So there was a “Schweinegrippe” party and there were little pigs on the walls and DJs and cheap drinks (as usual) and an abundance of men. Unfortunately I don’t find a lot of the German men attractive so the overabundance doesn’t help me. However, it was fun. It was also Jana’s birthday. Big 20! We took birthday shots in honor of her. I ended up going to bed around 3:30-4:00 and had to wake up early again for Ceramics. That class is really cramping my style.

Love,

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment